As part of The Other Art Fair’s continued mission to break down traditional barriers of the contemporary art world, New Futures is designed to launch the careers of talented emerging artists through prizing that includes free exhibition space and mentorship.
Opportunities to exhibit physically at the Fair, digitally through Virtual Editions and on The Online Studios will provide creatives with valuable exhibition and sales experience. Whilst a complementary program of focused, ongoing mentoring and professional development workshops will provide the tools needed to further the career of artists.
Each Fair and Virtual Edition in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Toronto and Sydney will showcase their city’s selected winners from the New Futures Class of 2021, featuring three emerging artists per Fair edition – a total of 36 innovative creatives in each year’s class.
A Selection Committee of art industry experts will select the final winners, alongside the Fair Founder, Ryan Stanier, and Fair Directors.
Find out more about the application and selection process by reading the New Futures Guide here.
Don’t see the city you’d like to apply for? Make sure you’re signed up to our artist newsletter so you know when the applications are live. Current open applications:
- Sydney, The Cutaway: March 18 – 21 (Fair) + March 23 – 28 (Virtual Edition) – Application Deadline January 31
- Los Angeles, California Market: March 30 – April 4 (Virtual Edition) + June 24 – 27 (Fair) – Application Deadline February 7
- Brooklyn, Brooklyn Expo Center: May 6 – 9 (Fair) + May 11 – 16 (Virtual Edition) – Applications Opening Soon
- Dallas, Market Hall: May 20 – 21 (Fair) + May 25 – 30 (Virtual Edition) – Applications Opening Soon
- London, Kings Cross: July TBA – Applications Opening Soon
- Chicago, Board of Trade Bldg.: Sept 29 – Oct 2 (Fair) + Oct 5 – 10 (Virtual Edition) – Applications Opening Soon
- Toronto, Evergreen Brick Works: Nov 11 – 14 (Fair) + Nov 16 – 21 (Virtual Edition) – Application Opening Soon
Through New Futures emerging artists have the opportunity to win free exhibition space, with ongoing guidance and professional mentorship.
- One free stand at The Other Art Fair and Virtual Edition for the city applied for.
- Two 1×1 mentorship sessions with the Fair Director to discuss booth curation and Fair preparation.
- Two 1×1 mentorship sessions with the Marketing Director to discuss marketing strategy.
- Ongoing guidance through Peer-to-Peer mentorship with a Fair artist.
- Lifetime membership to The Other Art Fair’s Global Exhibitor Community, benefits include networking opportunities, professional workshops, and artist socials.
- Participation in exhibition preparation workshops, social for the upcoming Fair – topics include curation, marketing and operations.
- Dedicated feature in the Fair’s event programming and the Online Studios.
- Inclusion on the New Futures Class of 2021 page, linking to their Saatchi Art profile.
Artists must meet all the criteria listed below for their application. Full terms and conditions can be found here. All New Futures applications received that do not meet the criteria and terms and conditions will not be eligible to win the prize package. The criteria includes:
- New Futures is open to artists working in all mediums. No formal artistic training is required of the artist.
- Applicants must be an artist with a completed body of work to install, exhibit and sell at the Fair.
- Applicants must be a resident of the Fair city they are applying for.
- Applicants must not have previously exhibited at any edition of The Other Art Fair worldwide, either as an exhibitor, solo project, or installation artist.
- Applicants should not have exclusive gallery representation or plans for proposed solo exhibitions at the time of application and up until the end of the calendar year – this includes involvement in any art fairs and gallery shows).
- The winners must be present and onsite for the duration of the Fair they have applied for and available to participate in the Virtual Edition.
- Past New Futures winner cannot apply.
Find the full terms & conditions here.