How to Commission An Original Artwork
For centuries people have been commissioning artists to make new works of art. It’s a great way both to support artists and to purchase a work that is specific to your requirements. At Saatchi Art, we can work with artists on commissions of all kinds – paintings, drawings, limited edition photographs and sculptures.
So if you see an artwork on Saatchi Art that has sold, or you find a work you love but it isn’t the right size or colour, or you would like an artist to paint a particular subject, we can work with you and the artist on a new commission that fits exactly what you are looking for.
Whether you are buying a work for yourself or you are an interior designer purchasing art for clients, commissioning a work of art is an exciting process, which will result in an original artwork being made specifically for you and that you won’t see in anyone else’s home.
Here are some insights into the commissioning process from our Associate Curator, Kat Henning:
- First, we confirm the details of the commission with both the artist and the collector. This includes the dimensions, color palette, subject matter, medium, materials, price, shipping costs, and estimated timeline to complete the artwork.
- Once the details have been approved, we collect 50% of payment of the total cost of the artwork from the collector.
- As the artist begins work, we request they send a weekly in-progress report, as well as photos of the work in progress. A Saatchi Art curator and the collector may review the photos to ensure satisfaction with the progress of the artwork.
- After the work has been completed, the collector approves a final image of the artwork.
- Saatchi Art then collects the second half of payment, plus the cost of shipping. We then work with the artist to have the work picked up from their studio, and delivered directly to your home!
Interested in commissioning an artwork?