10 Artist Quotes for the Graduate in Your Life
Graduation can stir so many emotions — excitement, uncertainty, a new sense of freedom and maybe a need for direction. There’s no shortage of inspirational quotations for new baccalaureates, but the words below strike a particular note on finding personal and career fulfillment, be that through making art or otherwise.
Whether you or someone you love is graduating soon (or you simply geek out on anything art as much as we do) here are some wise words from some of our favorite artists:
1. ‘I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart.’ – Vincent Van Gogh
2. ‘I paint my own reality.’ – Frida Kahlo
3. ‘I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.’ – Pablo Picasso
4. ‘There’s a moment for everyone when you fall into your own shadow and the fact is that it’s your shadow and you’re forced to live in it. And this is nothing to celebrate or not celebrate. It simply is.’ – Robert Rauschenberg
5. ‘Creativity takes courage.’ – Henri Matisse
6. ‘The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.’ – Michelangelo
7. ‘Creating is about sharing ideas, sharing aesthetics, sharing what you believe in with other people.’- Shepard Fairey
8. ‘Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.’ – Salvador Dalí
9. ‘You get whatever accomplishment you are willing to declare.’ – Georgia O’Keeffe
10. ‘Above all else, it is about leaving a mark that I existed: I was here. I was happy. I was sad. I was in love. I was afraid. I was hopeful. I had an idea and I had a purpose. That’s why I made works of art.’ – Félix González-Torres
Love reading about all things art? You can have articles from Canvas, curated collections and stories about emerging artists delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for the Saatchi Art Newsletter.
Small artworks make a thoughtful, one-of-a-kind graduation gift. Shop Saatchi Art’s Small Is Beautiful Collection for affordable artworks that your graduate is sure to love.